Respondus Lockdown Browser is built to deter cheating when taking online exams. So then, how do you cheat with the system? There are many ways you can cheat using the Respondus browser, including using a virtual desktop and the Alt + Tab function.
You could also cheat by creating another Mac user account, using secondary devices, a virtual machine, or sticky notes. While all these methods are effective, how you execute them is very important. Otherwise, the system may still detect you are cheating.
Want to know more about how to cheat on Respondus lockdown browser? Keep reading.
How Does The Respondus Lockdown Identify Cheating?
If you want to cheat the Respondus browser, you must know how this tool detects exam cheating in the first place. Below are the different ways it prevents cheating:
Locking the Screen
When using this browser, the tests are usually presented in full-screen and you cannot minimize it. This helps ensure you don’t open new windows or tabs.
Restricting Access to other Applications
Additionally, the system works by limiting your access to other applications. This means you cannot use the screen capture or printing functions. You also cannot copy or paste anything from the test.
Disabling Various Desktop Menus
The system also disables various menus, including all the keyboard shortcuts, function keys, task switching, and right-click menu options. Even the toolbar and the browser menu options are disabled. You are only allowed to use the back, refresh, forward, and stop menus.
How To Cheat with Respondus Lockdown Custom Browser?
Without further ado, let’s find out how to cheat on an online exam with lockdown browser.
1. Use Desktop.exe
A desktop.exe is a feasible or executable file belonging to a Virtual Desktop. It is a part of the Microsoft Windows system. The virtual desktop is an application that enables users to create multiple desktops and switch between them effortlessly.
You can shift between the virtual screens using the assigned hotkeys without being noticed. However, this method only works on Windows devices. To create the multiple desktops:
- Step 1: Click on the ‘task view’ icon on the taskbar. Then, choose New Desktop.
- Step 2: Next, open the app you want to use on that specific desktop.
- Step 3: Then, choose the ‘Task view’ again to switch to another desktop.
When you run desktop.exe on your computer, you will be given different control options to choose from. You can pick the Alt and any number key. This combination of keys will help you shift between multiple desktops.
However, you cannot open the same browser twice on both desktops. So, it is advisable to download two separate browsers like Firefox and Chrome.
This way, you can open the Respondus system on the desktop using Firefox. Conversely, you can use Chrome to search for answers to your test.
2. Make Use of the Alt + Tab Function
Alt + tab is a keyboard shortcut that enables you to shift between open programs without a mouse. This means you can navigate away from your current window without Respondus detecting.
However, you have to open your preferred tabs before starting to use the browser and doing the test. To use this function to deceive the system:
- Step 1: Press the Alt+Tab.
- Step 2: Hold the Alt key down as you press the Tab key to scroll through the different open programs.
- Step 3: Next, release the Alt key once you see the window you would like to use.
- Step 4: Go to the search panel and look for the answers to your test.
3. Create a Second Mac User Account
This is a better way to deceive the lockdown browser if using a Mac computer. Here is how it works:
- Step 1: Set up a new user account on your Mac with a secure password.
- Step 2: Install a program called Maestro Editor on your PC.
- Step 3: Select the ‘View tab’. Then, select Macro followed by Record Macro.
- Step 4: Assign a name to the Macro and click on it to activate the feature.
- Step 5: Use Macro to switch between the two user accounts during the exam.
4. Use Secondary Devices
Additionally, you could cheat the Respondus system using secondary devices like a smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop. You simply put the device with the cheat notes under your primary desktop.
Alternatively, you can use your mobile phone against the screen. This way, as you look at your phone, it will appear like you are looking at the questions on the screen.
Then, connect your primary desktop mouse to your secondary device using a USB OTG adapter. Here is how to make the connection:
- Step 1: Plug one end of the OTG adapter into your phone, tablet, or another laptop’s charging port.
- Step 2: Connect the other end of the OTG adapter to the mouse.
Once you have linked your desktop to a secondary device, you can freely browse answers for your test. Just keep in mind that not all secondary devices support USB OTG.
5. Make Use of a Virtual Machine (VM)
As the name suggests, a virtual machine is a digital version of a real computer. Just like a physical computer, a VM can perform nearly all the same functions, including running operating systems and applications.
To use a virtual machine, there are several programs to choose from, including VirtualBox, VMware Player, and VMware Fusion. Below is how this cheating method works:
- Step 1: Install a VM app of your choice on your PC, such as the VirtualBox.
- Step 2: Next, open the VM app and click on the button ‘New.’ You will be directed to the “create virtual machine” wizard.
- Step 3: On the wizard, write the OS name you would like to install in the ‘Name’ box. The wizard will automatically fill in the other boxes based on the OS you selected.
- Step 4: Continue clicking the “Next” and “Create” buttons to get through the wizard.
- Step 5: Once done, you will be taken back to the primary VM app window. Click on the ‘Start’ button to start the VM.
- Step 6: Next, choose the .iso image file you want to use. Your VM should load the selected OS.
Once you have set up the VM, you can run the Respondus system on the main OS and the rest of the applications on the other OS.
6. Use Sticky Notes
Lastly, you could cheat on Respondus using sticky notes. You just write the key information you are likely to forget on the notes. Then, place the sticky notes towards the top and sides of your laptop screen.
This way, you can see the notes without facing away from the webcam. Just make sure to tape them well so they don’t fall during the exam.
Whatever your reasons are for wanting to cheat the Respondus system, there are many ways to do so. Unfortunately, if you are not careful while using any of these methods, you can still get caught. This is because the system is very intelligent.
Therefore, you must strategically place your cheating materials away from the webcam. That said, we suggest you try the above cheating hacks before the exam day to find out which works best for you.