There is some controversy as to whether homework is beneficial to children or whether it can be harmful. Everything will depend on the amount and type of homework they bring home.
In the following article we tell you whether it is good for children to bring homework from school.
Advantages of bring homework from school
Doing homework at home can bring your little one a number of benefits:
- Homework can help children develop a very important value in childhood, such as responsibility.
- School homework helps children establish a routine and habits that always come in handy.
- Another point in favor of homework is due to the fact that children learn to organize themselves on a day-to-day basis.
- Homework helps develop autonomy and independence, something that has a positive impact on the child’s confidence and self-esteem.
Disadvantages of doing homework at home
But not everything is going to be advantages and homework can be a number of disadvantages for the child:
- Wanting to do homework at home can generate some pressure that can have a negative impact on a mental and emotional level.
- The obligation to do homework means that children do not have time to play or to disconnect emotionally from everything that has to do with studies. Not everything is studying, but they must also play and do something idle to achieve good cognitive development.
- In many cases, homework becomes a real obligation to all that it entails in a negative way for the emotional health of the child.
Are homework therefore advisable?
You do not have to go to extremes so that homework is not bad, as long as it involves small tasks that have a positive impact on the development of children. Homework must at all times promote values such as responsibility, autonomy or independence.
If the amount of homework is excessive, the child comes to suffer saturation and that is not advisable. Remember that the child already goes to school for a few hours, so it is not convenient that when he arrive home he has to spend the whole afternoon doing class homework.
Find the waypoint
It is important to find a middle ground when it comes to the amount of homework and the goal of the homework.
The purpose of homework should always be the development of a series of values that help the child in the medium and long term to become adults. If this and the amount of homework are not excessive, doing homework at home is always beneficial.
Special emphasis should be placed on children in the infant stage. In this phase of life it makes no sense to send homework. Homework should have the objective of promoting the child’s learning, so until 6 years of age it makes no sense for them to do homework at home.
In short, like everything in this life in moderation is the key to everything. The same happens in the case of homework and do not exceed them.
The little one should have time for everything, both when doing homework and playing. It can’t be that children come home from school and spend the whole afternoon doing homework. If this happens, they suffer a strong saturation that negatively affects the children mental environment.