What is a Preschool Teacher?
A preschool teacher is not the one with the most innovative resources and the classroom full of didactic material for children to feel good in the classroom, but the one who is able to take the educational intervention forward with the things that are within the context and take advantage of it so that children get experiences brought to reality as significantly as they can be achieved.
Role of the Preschool Teacher
The role of the preschool teacher is to encourage and maintain in children the desire to know, interest and motivation to learn.
They also have the responsibility to promote equal opportunities for the development of skills that allow children full participation in social life.
The participation of the teacher should consist of fostering experiences that encourage different dynamics of relationship in the school group.
There are many things that we already know that we have to strengthen in order not to fall into the wrong ideas about how to educate the little ones, but there are more things that we should correct and try to innovate.
We know that as good educators it is of paramount importance to strengthen our skills, knowledge, attitudes, and values that we will transmit and apply during our teaching work.
Next, we will mention the most relevant points to strengthen during the teaching intervention.
- Observation is a key point that must be strengthened at every moment to know the characteristics of children and their different learning processes as a basis to guide the organization and development of teaching work, as well as the evaluation of learning and ways in which it is propitiated.
- It should not go unnoticed that the classroom environment that we develop attitudes and positive participation that promote confidence in the child’s ability to learn, establishing a climate of comfort in the group and thus promote self-esteem, respect, order, creativity, curiosity and pleasure for the study, as well as the strengthening of the autonomy of the nursery.
- The good results of our educational intervention require a flexible planning, which takes as a starting point the competences and the fundamental purposes that will favor the integral development of the child during the preschool age.
- To create significant learning in the child, it is vital that we design playful activities because through the game the child explores and exercises their physical skills, idea and reconstructs situations of social and family life, in which they act and exchange roles.
- The disposition of the preschool teacher is essential to attend the children with special educational needs, which implies a support work with the school group, parents or guardians, the school and specialized centers to improve the educational quality of the child.
- Recognize the individual differences of students influencing learning processes in order to implement teaching strategies to stimulate them; especially to favor the learning of children in particularly difficult family and social conditions that help us to understand their development niche.
How to deal with the preschool children
Many preschool teachers maintain a great consistency in the ways of dealing with children, take negative attitudes they adopt in educational interventions and have criteria with which they try to guide and modulate the relationships between their students, but often the actions they take are wrong because they do not realize that they are very hard in the way they answer the children, how they treat them and above all bad attitude that they have can harm psychologically affecting the overall development of the child.
We must be careful in the way of planning, because many times we do not have an adequate diagnosis of the needs of children, taste, preference and interests and that makes the activities in something that does not strengthen the learning of the children.
The planning of the educational intervention is an indispensable resource for an effective teaching work, since it allows the educator to establish the educational purposes that he intends and the appropriate organizational forms, to foresee the didactic resources and to have clear references for the evaluation of the educational process of the girls and boys of their school group.
Not having a broad knowledge about the purposes of pre-school education is a disadvantage that affects the teaching work because it is not fulfilled what is intended in the initial education since the necessary expectations will not be fulfilled when entering primary school.
That is why we must understand the meaning of the purposes of preschool education, of the pedagogical approaches that underpin educational action, to promote the integral and balanced development of girls and boys and to identify, as one of the main contributions of this service, the development of cognitive abilities that are the basis of lifelong learning.
Failure to design, organize and implement strategies and didactic activities appropriate to the development of students, as well as the social and cultural characteristics of these and their family environment, it will make the learners not achieve the purposes of knowledge, development of skills and value of training that promotes preschool education.
What new things to try as a preschool teacher?
- Implement strategies that favor the effectiveness of the educational intervention in the classroom, as well as a better organization of work in the school; for this, we have to know the pedagogical principles that are fundamental to reflect on the practice itself.
- Collaborative work and mutual knowledge between school and family favor the development of children. For this, we must create activities where we involve both contexts so that there is a continuation of knowledge.
- The interest that we will generate in the small motivation to learn. It is that the arrangement we have that wanting to teach always with a positive attitude in the first place.
- In preschool education, one of the most useful practices for the educator is to guide the natural impulse of the children towards the game, so that the latter, without losing its pleasant sense, also acquires educational purposes in accordance with the competencies that the children must develop.
- First of all, we as trainers need to have a high capacity for understanding written material and have the habit of reading to critically assess what we read and relate it to reality and especially, to their professional practice.
- Posing, analyzing and solving problems that arise during the intervention, knowing how to face intellectual challenges generating their own responses based on the knowledge and experiences of children.
- The game is a natural impulse of children and has multiple manifestations and functions. It is a form of activity that allows them to express their energy, their need for movement and can acquire complex forms that encourage the development of skills. That is why through playful activities, the child learns naturally and without feeling pressured, shows greater interest to make products under the pretext of “play” and likewise enriches their knowledge, expands them and develops diverse abilities that will be useful in the future life.
To get good work from the good preschool teacher there are different factors: the support of parents, the needs of children and the preschool teacher is able to capture these needs, the planning of activities as required to meet “the needs of children”, that is prepared for the contingencies that may arise during the day.
It is also important that he forms challenges or goals that he wants to reach with the children so that he is aware of how far he can get with his work. It has to foster in children the desire to learn, to know more, to form a pleasant environment to create meaningful learning for the child.
image source: huffingtonpost